Sunday, March 17, 2013

Sig Special 9 mm Pistol

My little wintertime trip north continued with a bit of indoor range firing of my friend's Sig Sauer Special 9mm semi-automatic.  We are in a period of time where there is a confluence of problems for pistol shooters. Some anti-gun legislators have been emboldened lately and frankly there has been a fear of renewed gun-control measures ever since the current president took office, accompanied by record gun and ammunition sales ever since 2008. Now in his second term and never to face voters again, he is bolder and giving the force of the bully pulpit to the anti-gun elements in congress. The news media, of course, are carrying water for all of them. So you can't hardly find a 9mm semi-automatic; they are immediately snapped up.  There is a fear that ammunition will be taxed or imprinted, causing it to become unavailable. In addition the federal government has apparently placed a billion dollar order on 9mm parabellum and other size bullets and I have been told that the manufacturers must give 75% of their output to this order.  All these things together and you cannot find a box of 9mm ammunition on the shelves anywhere. But I did.  And I have a lot more in my gun safe at home, so we shot some of it.
I will say first that Remington 9mm bullets are LOUD!  The others at the indoor range thought so as well.  We played around, making sure we could each hit the target at 25-yards before cranking it down to the 50-yd mark, right in front of the deflector.  I have thin wrists and that gun felt like it wanted to leap right out of my hands!  It was so much fun!  We were able to hit the target.  This gun has a long trigger pull. You have to take up a whole bunch and then get into your zen squeeze.  When it goes off, it wants to drive your styrofoam ear plugs right into your brain, and a fireball covers up the line of sight for an instant. 
I think that I am going to have to do some wrist-roller exercises; winding up a free weight on a thin rope, or something like that to strengthen up some when I get back up north for the summer and get my 9 mm out of the safe.  What a good time, though, and what a nice gun.

1 comment:

  1. See footnote I for a good article presenting the technical description and general features of the Sig Special.

    ReplyDelete