Saturday, March 2, 2013

Diana Mod. 60 .177 cal Rifle

Diana Model 60  .177 calibre rifle

This is an extremely beautiful gun I was handed down from dad.  I pulled it out of the gun safe and brought it to FL to shoot toy soldiers, pencils, and golf balls (turned out golf balls are not a good idea)with a friend in his linnae and to generally re-familiarize myself with.  Unfortunately it has to be, like my other problems, considered "down" because of little or no power. 

The breech seal was quite worn and I was able to purchase a couple from Umarex, USA for only a dollar.  This did not do the trick and that leaves me with the probability that the piston seals are shot.  A little blogging and I learned that they dry-rot, and this gun has been in the safe a long, long time.  So I am in the process of obtaining the seals and enough information to determine whether or not I can handle the repair, or whether I had better have a facility do it.


The exploded diagram.  The model 65 and 66 had locking levers to maintain positive locking of the break-barrel.  The 60 does not. 

5 comments:

  1. Go to Footnote A for a downlink of article regarding shimming the breech seal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Read a blog article by the famed, B.B.Pelletier, which I will post as Footnote C for future reference, particularly for the comments section, where he continues a discussion. The bad news is that B.B. considers the replacement of the piston seals NOT a DIY matter. He did draw one response that it definitely IS doable, although not by the faint-hearted.
    I had received a lead for UMAREX in Fort Smith, AR and called it:
    479-646-4210 ext 507
    and got in touch with "Mike" who told me the seals are $14.85 each; a new mainspring (which they would put in automatically) is $40.56 and the whole job including shipping back to me would be $174.90 in which case I would remove the stock, mail it, they would replace the seals and mainspring, test it and return it. So I have to decide.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Major discovery! In cruising the web, I ran into this 22-page download by a guy in Sweden detailing the complete dissassembly and reassembly of the gun. I printed it off so as not to lose it but the link is in Footnote D.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ran across another good article on the history of the Model 60, which I will link to Footnote E. This link is an airgun pub which also includes a very nice little treatise on pellet shape, weight, and speed with regard to accuracy. Very enlightening article, for which I am thankful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I got north I called Umarex and tried to order the seals, but they jerked me around, indicating that it was a delicate installation and that they would not sell the seals, only install them. I thanked them very much and located a website in the UK that sells the seals, as well as the seals for the Diana Model 6 pistol, which will need them also, but the website ordering page diddled me around. Wrote them a communication, asking for help ordering. Hopefully I will hear back.

    ReplyDelete