Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Cooey Model 82 .22 caliber Rifle (Dark stock)

Cooey Model 82  Rifle .22 caliber  (Dark stock)

 
The Cooey Canadian rifle has a rich history and a great deal of information available.  I have two of them in .22 cal that I inherited from my father.  I refinished both of them and one turned out a little darker than the other and I refer to this one as the Cooey Dark. 
It was time to shake down another .22 cal rifle, so I took the Dark out and put up some rabbit targets and a couple small sighter charts at 50-yd.  The gun shot well and I realized that the common sight picture left a pretty nice group, but low, off the paper.  I changed my sight picture so that I covered the target with the front bead, bisected by the rear notch, and this seemed to do quite well.  In fact, I was very pleased with a couple of the groups, particularly after I got rid of the shooting glasses, which were fogging up on me. 
 
I obtained 8 groups I could measure, after shooting up a box:
 
1.7 "     7.1 "     3.0 "
2.4 "     1.6 "     1.3 "
1.7 "
2.9 "
The gun now temporarily owns the top four groups that I have shot.
 
The 1.3-inch group was very satisfying but one shouldn't be surprised.  These guns were commissioned by the Canadian government for training rifles, and the stocks go right out to the bitter end, so they are engineered to be good guns.  Why would you train your soldiers with inaccurate rifles?  Anyhow, it was a lot of fun shooting it.

No comments:

Post a Comment