Saturday, July 27, 2013

Karabiner Model 1931 .308 Straight-pull

Karabiner Model 1931 (K31) Swiss Straight-Pull Rifle

 
Quite some time ago, I had some amateur radio equipment which an old guy a few miles away desired to have and I traded it for this rifle.  Oddly enough it had a sniper-scope, or what qualified for one in it's day on it, but he wanted to keep that scope, so I had the gun fitted with a peep-sight much like the one pictured here.  I don't really like a peep sight. It is difficult centering that front pin in the big aperature and then on the target, but it is what it is. 
Mine has been bored to .308 and, unlike some of my guns, I have shot this one some.  I have even killed a few whitetailed deer with it on the farm. It is particularly useful from a high tree up on the ridgetop that I used to love to sit in, but it was a very difficult climb, both to the ridgetop and then up the tree. 
I brought it out on the 100-yard range and put five rounds through it before I could find a hole in the target to go by.  It turns out that it was shooting high, over the target altogether.  I had almost given up when, aiming very low, I got one in that I could see and, so, I popped two more in and at least got a group to measure, although it is a very primitive one...I'm sure the rifle can do better.  Now, at least, I've identified the problem and can devote some time to it when I get a chance. 
I was able to score an 11.7-inch group, which was nothing to brag about, but I will shoot this gun again.

No comments:

Post a Comment