Sunday, June 2, 2013

Level I Turkey Hunt

Level I Turkey Hunt



Got out on Friday afternoon/evening to the draw below the sleeping spot.  Sat myself in there for a delicious nap which was interrupted by a little red squirrel crawling on me.  I dozed in and out on this beautiful day with the M-66 Ithaca in my lap.  Later on, I heard a snapping sound, followed by another a few minutes later and knew something was afoot.  Finally I turned my body 45-degrees and put up a huge buck that was standing nearly behind me.  He leaped into the air in a dazzling show of surprise and panic and bounded zig-zagging through the popples while I laughed quietly.  He was just SMOKED!  Snorting and alerting the entire woods all the way to the spring.  That was a real treat.
About 30-minutes later, a big doe and her yearling appeared from the open field on the hill into the edge of the woods on the north side of the draw and slowly made their way down toward the clear field at the bottom, probably crossing into the pines.
Saw no turkeys, although, just before sunset I thought I heard a tom sound off up the hill and pretty far away, so they are roosting way up in there somewhere. 

No comments:

Post a Comment