Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Walther LP Model 58 Air Pistol .177 caliber

Walther .177 Caliber Air Pistol, Model 58

 
The Walther is an inheritance from my dad, who loved airguns, particularly German ones of highest quality!  The bluing on this one is getting a little weak on the barrel side, but otherwise it cocks and seals great.  I brought it to Madison and decided to give it the same workout with the Daisy ammo of three types that I did the Hammerli.  When I got set up; no rear sight!  Just the mount and the elevator dial, which I then proceeded to use for a rear sight for the purpose of making the same shot over and over and finding out what kind of groups this pistol will shoot.  It shot very low and I had to adjust my visual picture to accommodate.  I did get 9 groups that I could measure, however, with slightly different results from the Hammerli.  The tightest group I could produce was 1.7" with the hollow-points. The next was a 2.2" with the pointed, hunting ammo, and third best was the diabolo shape with a couple of 2.8" groups.  The diabolo did produce a 4-shot group within an inch and a half, but the fifth shot was off the paper, so sadly, I could not in good conscience score it.
 
Pointy          Diabolo          Hollow-point
 
2.2          2.8          1.7 
4.2          2.8          2.2
4.8          3.8          2.8
 
The hollow-point style clearly produced the winner in all three starts and I'll have to mount a rear sight on this gun, sight it in, and return to this task and see if that is truly the case.  Nonetheless I was pleased that there weren't any mechanical or seal issues.  For now, I'll move on to another pistol.  
 
 
 

2 comments:

  1. In scanning the blogs and links, it came to my attention that there is quite a controversy that the Model 58 does not exist and that it is the Walther Model 53 instead! Some sources insist that the stamping had to be altered, while others insist not. I took the gun back to the gun safe on the farm, but will have to give it a close examination. I responded in prelim fashion on a blog that I most certainly do have one which is stamped Model 58, but now I must look very carefully under magnification to be absolutely sure!

    ReplyDelete