Friday, June 21, 2013

Springfield Model 82 .22 Rifle

Springfield Model 82 .22 Rifle

 
This was my grandfather's .22 on my father's side.  I have both my grandfather's and father's (Model 15).  This particular one was given to me by my paternal grandmother, which is quite an honor because I not only am not the oldest cousin on that side of the family, but there are a slew of them which were quite close to my grandmother.  I did not see her all that often, as when my parents divorced, the dad side tended in those days to bow out. 
Anyway, I got it out of the safe for a shakedown box of bullets and had some fun on a sunny day after a rainy night.  I was able to keep seven 5-shot groups on the paper and of those three were quite satisfactory all things considered.  I was using those old macked-up Sears targets which are a little hard to see 50-yds away.  I scored the following group sizes:
2.0"     2.3"     2.5"
3.8"
4.5"     4.8"
5.2"
 
The gun seemed to be sighted in a bit high, so I took a deeper bead the second time through and that brought it down.  Next step, of course, clean it up and have a much, much more serious day and see if the groups can be tightened up.

No comments:

Post a Comment